I have never had any systematic approach to my job choice. I have worked where I could to support my art habit. And through the years I have worked in quite a variety of “capacities”, as the CV lingo calls them. I decided to mention some in a kind of free flow manner, without any structure, but as I recall them.
The oddest job I’ve had: being a test subject at the NIH (National Institute of Health). A neuroscientist, supposedly a friend of mine, convinced me after a few beers to participate to an experiment. He claims it was safe, but to this day, I have my doubts… I accepted to have a kind of magnetic beam shot into my brain to move my hand remotely. A coil placed near my head (near not on) would emit a TACK sound and my hand would contract. Freaky. In the brain, the area that is devoted to hand movements is right next to the face, so if the beam was a bit off, my face would contract. Very freaky.
I painted some works on commission: an odd mix between a job, my own artistic interests and a form of social practice. A remarkable one was when I painted mural sized panels for a restaurant. The panels were painted in the bathroom of the restaurant whilst under construction. Therefore, the accompanying scent to the elegy of my brushstroke was that of well-aged urine and the occasional shit. Inspiring.
I was a Coffee shop waiter and I was fired for the first and only time in my life.
I have done carpentry and handy man jobs off and on for a while. And also house painting, of which I loved every minute (all the pleasure of painting, without any decision-making).
I made a CD cover and some logos.
At the end of the 90’s, I became a shoe store clerk at a teenybopper shoe store: high-soled air cushion rave shoes, clunky dress-shoes, trashy stiletto shoes, and prom shoes. It was the only place willing to hire me fresh-off-the-boat from Italy. One time, I went to work coming down from LSD. I recollect that trying to remember the shoe numbers, while the face of the costumer was melting and her voice was on reverb with a bell effect, was a bit hard.
I worked as a line cook, sometime as a souse-chef and even as a substitute chef.
I was an assistant to a “flower artist”.
I was subcontracted by my uncle as a translator. It was a onetime gig and that was the odd part. I lacked any in depth knowledge and background to the affair, which, by the way, involved Skyping an Italian company to buy some special panels for of an American architectural firm refurbishing a boat for Scientology. It may not sound sooo weird but, trust me, it was.
I sculpted two Egyptian jackals for a party organizing company. I made them with styrofoam, ready-patch (wall patching gunk) and paint. Although the company proclaimed their satisfaction, I was embarrassed by the result.
I was a production assistant of the production assistant of the production assistant for a TV show, where I also met GW Bush’s daughter.
I have been a teacher for many years. For this one, I need more than 600 words.
I am currently on a Fulbright Fellowship, which is not really a job, but it does have a stipend.
22.04.2010
The oddest job I’ve had: being a test subject at the NIH (National Institute of Health). A neuroscientist, supposedly a friend of mine, convinced me after a few beers to participate to an experiment. He claims it was safe, but to this day, I have my doubts… I accepted to have a kind of magnetic beam shot into my brain to move my hand remotely. A coil placed near my head (near not on) would emit a TACK sound and my hand would contract. Freaky. In the brain, the area that is devoted to hand movements is right next to the face, so if the beam was a bit off, my face would contract. Very freaky.
I painted some works on commission: an odd mix between a job, my own artistic interests and a form of social practice. A remarkable one was when I painted mural sized panels for a restaurant. The panels were painted in the bathroom of the restaurant whilst under construction. Therefore, the accompanying scent to the elegy of my brushstroke was that of well-aged urine and the occasional shit. Inspiring.
I was a Coffee shop waiter and I was fired for the first and only time in my life.
I have done carpentry and handy man jobs off and on for a while. And also house painting, of which I loved every minute (all the pleasure of painting, without any decision-making).
I made a CD cover and some logos.
At the end of the 90’s, I became a shoe store clerk at a teenybopper shoe store: high-soled air cushion rave shoes, clunky dress-shoes, trashy stiletto shoes, and prom shoes. It was the only place willing to hire me fresh-off-the-boat from Italy. One time, I went to work coming down from LSD. I recollect that trying to remember the shoe numbers, while the face of the costumer was melting and her voice was on reverb with a bell effect, was a bit hard.
I worked as a line cook, sometime as a souse-chef and even as a substitute chef.
I was an assistant to a “flower artist”.
I was subcontracted by my uncle as a translator. It was a onetime gig and that was the odd part. I lacked any in depth knowledge and background to the affair, which, by the way, involved Skyping an Italian company to buy some special panels for of an American architectural firm refurbishing a boat for Scientology. It may not sound sooo weird but, trust me, it was.
I sculpted two Egyptian jackals for a party organizing company. I made them with styrofoam, ready-patch (wall patching gunk) and paint. Although the company proclaimed their satisfaction, I was embarrassed by the result.
I was a production assistant of the production assistant of the production assistant for a TV show, where I also met GW Bush’s daughter.
I have been a teacher for many years. For this one, I need more than 600 words.
I am currently on a Fulbright Fellowship, which is not really a job, but it does have a stipend.
22.04.2010